Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Chinese Inspired Breakfast Fritatta

Yesterday, I was hungry in the morning, and besides that, I had quite a few veggies to go through before leaving for camp. Inspired by a breakfast once made by my Chinese-Japanese friend, Subaru, who made dish from egg and cooked cucumber, I decided to try that cucumber in my usual Fritatta style. With the lack of zucchini's availability in Japan (and when you do find it, it's almost 200円 for one, cucumber makes an excellent substitute. I was quite surprised when I saw Subaru throw the cucumbers in the pan for the first time. But after tasting the end product, I was amazed at its yumminess.

First, I sautéed the onion in a bit of vegetable onion. Then I added the eggplant and cucumber. Since these three veggies have different cooking times, allow about 3 minutes between the onion, then eggplant, then cucumber.

I seasoned the veggies with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.


Another option with seasoning is something I learned from my friend, Dave. He likes to put a miso soup packet (not the powder kind, but the one with actual miso)into the beaten egg mixture. The taste was fantastic. Feel free to try it sometime.



After you spread the vegetables around the pan evenly, pour the eggy mixture over the vegetables. Keep the pan on a low to medium heat. You want the egg to cook slowly. After it hardens a bit, slide your spatula around the sides to check its firmness. After it's stable, try to flip the whole thing like a pancake. It's quite difficult, and if you can do it on the first try, then you are a born chef.



As you can see, I failed in this attempt to flip it like a pancake. I am not a natural born chef. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment