Wednesday, August 03, 2011

What's "late" when coming out?

According to a status post from my friend living in Liverpool, it's pride week this week, and there are some themed films accompanying it. She posted a link to this movie called Jan's Coming Out. The link is to the trailer.

It's about a woman who was married, with 3 children, who didn't realize she was gay until watching some episodes of the L word. I haven't seen the movie, but i'd like to, as it documents her journey from coming out at 50, and exploring all the events and situations that come with that. I love hearing about people's experiences and feelings about their journeys through this event.

I was reminded of chatting with a girl at the Stonewall dinner, who felt that coming out now, at 22, was "late".
I, of course, didn't think it was late. In fact, I think that after coming out, everyone wishes that they had done it sooner. It's not fair to compare your life's stepping stones to the lives of others.

Life flows naturally, and timing is everything. The time you come out, is just that, a time in your life, a step, an experience, a lesson, well, it's just life.

No comments:

Post a Comment