Thursday, November 23, 2006

More things I ignore, and fantasy not



Senior year of high school, we had to read Walden. I hated it. Still, I was a nerd so I finished it. I read it out loud to my grandmother the week before she died. Thoreau has this opinion upon owls, predators of the night believed to be both symbols of wisdom and strength, while at the same time, omens of death.

"I rejoice that there are owls. Let them do the idiotic and maniacal hooting for men. It is a sound admirably suited to swamps and twilight woods which no day illustrates, suggesting a vast and underdeveloped nature which men have not recognized. They represent the stark twilight and unsatisfied thoughts which all have."

1 comment:

  1. i shall post on yours, doing for you what you have me - FINALLY GIVING ME A FUCKING COMMENT.

    Awesome!

    Thanks and such :)

    Take care,
    carlin

    ReplyDelete