Monday, April 23, 2007

do jogging

I don't remember falling asleep or leaving the house, but I'm pretty sure it was a new moon. And on this night, the overcasted clouds glowed as if city lights were a mirror one-fourth the size of the earth. I doubt that I could run for an hour and five minutes, and that I could escape the bamboo forest without one wretched mosquito making his mark. I'm a smoker, nonetheless, and my blood, zifandel.
Not one car passed me by and my eyes never had to adjust their big black middles to accommodate annoying headlights. I've been curious about that place advertised on a blue road sign, and stayed curious for quite a while due to the unattractiveness of the road's grade. However, on this moonless, silver-lit night, the incline resembled the tall, shiny slide that links together the playground sand to the 3rd tier of the giant rocket. No one who cries at night can resist climbing up that slide. If you want to know if your child is still alive, drive past that park, or run up this trail.

Every now and then, I could have sworn the world had turned upside-down, and that the rivers ran up, and that I was running from a giant wave that's been traveling longer and farther than I. But it was just the freeway. Bamboo has a talent for echo. I was stopped by a tall black gate, that just functioned as kindling for my curiousity. Couldn't help but think that a wooden one would have made this story better, however unfortunately, this story is true. So why start lying now?

I had two choices, run in the muddy tea fields or descend the mountain road. How boring should I have done the latter, so mud it was. I liked the slippy feelings i kept stumbling upon. I wanted to fall in the mud, but i never did. Things never get dirty when you're ready for it. I stopped at a kumquat tree. It did not smell like anything, not even of orange rind. So as a way to make it feel better, I picked one of its fruit. The midget orange was dry and bitter, but I finished it with a smile and even swallowed the seeds. I did not want to offend this kind, aromaless bush. A bush i say, as it was hardly a tree, and to be here, amist waves of perfect tea fields...well, it didn't deserve any more offenses.

Like any good samaritan does, i reveled in my dopaminic rush of completing a good deed, so I grew even more determined to meet my muddy demise and I began to sprint.
My lungs seized before any other of my muscles, and while diverting all my attention to getting my babies some nice gasps of cloudy, night air, I found myself in new surroundings. Bye bye, ta ke, hello sugi. I don't know what they are called in English, as I've always been bad with tree names. I know an interesting fact about Sugis but I'm going to save that for another time. You see, the girl who taught me the interesting fact reeks of a good story, so we can just wait.

By this time, I was scared. The reason should have been more about the state of my lungs and my overall physical health, but alas, the fear was of the dark. Typical. Now don't you start thinking that the sky had gone and changed. Oh no no no, the darkness was the fault of the Sugi. You see, I was now on a path with a river on my left and the Sugi on my right and my top. If the clouds water had broke, I'd have probably remained dry. I began to run faster and somehow bypassed the whole damaged lung thing because I ran the distance of three river bridges. I could have crossed over and left the darkness, but I love when I feel like I have an imagination. And at that time, all I saw were snakes on the ground and webs on my face. And I flew.


I don't remember leaving the house or falling asleep, but i also don't remember my dreams.

Okay, now that was a lie. It's just that my dreams don't remember me.

No comments:

Post a Comment